MedCast is a new podcast created by and for MedChi. The digital program was created with the vision to provide an outlet for MedChi physicians to come together to discuss a variety of topics on health care, with host Dr. Stephen Rockower, while also featuring episodes that allow them to get to know their peers. As many organizations have faced a reduction in meetings through COVID-19, the existence of camaraderie needs to be defined differently. “The creation of this podcast was something that we were really excited to release in hopes of providing an outlet for our physicians to hear from their peers, talk about timely issues in medicine, and hopefully come together on a new platform that appeals to their hectic work schedules”, says Gene Ransom, MedChi CEO. MedCast is available on Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
October 24, 2022: The tenth episode of MedCast features Dr. Karen Dionesotes. Mental illness has always been a subject of huge importance to Dr. Karen Dionesotes, which is why she entered the psychiatry residency program at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine three years ago. During her time in Baltimore, she became interested in organized medicine and ended up joining the Student Section of the AMA, where she made the yearly trek to Capitol Hill and “talked to anyone who would listen” about the issues facing health professionals. She remains passionate about advocacy and sees organized medicine as the means to “bridge the gap between those who work in medicine, and those who are in a position to solve things”. You can listen to it here.
October 10, 2022: The ninth episode of MedCast features Dr. Clarence Lam. Dr. Lam serves as a Democratic member of the Senate from the 12th District (Baltimore and Howard), but he considers being a physician in preventive medicine at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health his primary role (additionally, he serves on its faculty). He’s passionate about the value of public health, and advocates for it and its funding. Learn more by tuning in as he sits down with Dr. Stephen Rockower for a candid interview. You can listen to it here.
September 27, 2022: The eighth episode of MedCast features Dr. Benjamin Lowentritt, Co-chair of MedChi's Legislative Council, MedChi’s Speaker of the House, and one of our most engaged and active Board members. Dr. Lowentritt discusses how resolutions come through the State House, what goes on behind MedChi’s advocacy efforts, and shares a “behind the scenes” look at how things get done in Annapolis, and where his love for organized medicine first got started. You can listen to it here.
- September 12, 2022: The seventh episode of MedCast features Dr. Carolyn O’Conor, a family physician in Montgomery County. Dr. O'Conor has held many positions in organized medicine but humbly describes herself as an “accidental leader”. To hear her describe it, her climb up the leadership ladder –both within her department at Shady Grove Hospital and later at Montgomery County Medical Society (she was President in 2019), was the result of timing, preparedness, and serendipity. As one of the original founding members of MedChi’s IDEA Task Force in 2020 -- created for the promotion of “Inclusion, Diversity, and Empowerment through Advocacy”, she found her voice. Equity and inclusion, especially, “rang true” for Dr. O’Conor, who frequently found herself on the listening end of stories about bias and gender pay inequity in the healthcare space. Together with other MedChi leaders, she co-founded the Gender Pay Equity Subcommittee, now wrapping up its first year. You can listen to it here.
- August 8, 2022: The sixth episode of MedCast features Dr. Gary Pushkin. Dr. Stephen Rockower hosts Dr. Gary Pushkin, an Orthopedic Surgeon based in Baltimore. Dr. Pushkin shares his insider's view on MedChi's Opioid taskforce, and his time as President of MedChi. Well before he became MedChi President in 2018, Dr. Gary Pushkin was passionate about educating physicians about the dangers of overprescribing opioids. In 2017, Dr. Pushkin founded MedChi’s first Opioid Task Force, an interdisciplinary workgroup that aimed to evaluate, develop, and share balanced, evidence-based, and effective responses to the opioid epidemic in Maryland. You can listen here.
- July 25, 2022: The fifth episode of MedCast features Dr. Harry Ajrawat, a practicing urologist in Prince George’s County. In his interview with Dr. Stephen Rockower, he shares the significance of MedChi’s legislative victory in restoring parity with Medicare for E&M code payments, which is necessary to recruit and retain the physicians if we are to adequately address access to care challenges in the Medicaid program. You can listen to it here.
- July 5, 2022: The fourth episode of MedCast features Delegate Terri Hill, M.D., a member of the House of Delegates since 2015 and a plastic surgeon with a successful practice in Howard County, Dr. Hill understands firsthand the intersection of politics and healthcare. Listen in as Dr. Hill shares her views on healthcare costs, gun violence, the environment, and a simple approach to keeping kids engaged in school. Looking back Terri Hill is grateful for the time she spent serving on the health and government operations committee under the tutelage of Delegate Dan Morhaim, also a physician. Like Dr. Morhaim, Dr. Hill believes that physicians have an obligation to get involved in politics beyond the healthcare arena. You can listen to it here.
- June 20, 2022: The third episode of MedCast features Dr. Tuesday Cook, a surgeon with Adventist Health. Dr. Cook shares her journey from Brooklyn to the Caribbean Islands and then back to Pace University in New York turned out to be the best possible preparation for successful practice where patients from all backgrounds and walks of life seek her help. Dr. Cook also speaks candidly about being a physician who is both black and female, and the obstacles therein which led her to become an active and vocal member of MedChi’s IDEA Task force. You can listen to it here.
- June 6, 2022: The second episode of MedCast features Dr. Willarda Edwards, Internist in Baltimore, AMA Delegate, and candidate for AMA President-elect. Dr. Edwards shares her background, why she became a doctor, and the critical role she sees for generational collaboration in today's healthcare system. Dr. Rockower and Dr. Edwards break down their passion for organized medicine and the issues they see as paramount in the near future. You can listen to it here.
- May 16, 2022: The first episode of MedCast features Loralie D. Ma, MD, a radiologist in Howard County and current president of MedChi’s Board. Dr Ma discusses her journey to becoming a radiologist, the issues facing physicians today, and how she helps her brain relax through walking. You can listen to it here.