The Center for the Employed Physician was established by the Center for a Healthy Maryland through a grant from The Physicians Foundation. Through this project resources and educational programming were developed to assist physicians who are currently employed or are considering entering into an employment arrangement. To inform the content of the tools and services to be created, 442 Maryland physicians responded to a survey, giving feedback about their concerns regarding practicing medicine in an employed setting. Physicians considering employment most requested a resource that would aid in contract negotiations, while physicians who are currently practicing in employed settings most requested current compensation models. Both groups were also concerned about maintaining autonomy. Please click to read the Updated Survey Summary Charts.
Resources of the Center for the Employed Physician include an informative Employed Physicians Brochure, referrals for professional advice, a Model Employment Contract adapted to Maryland (to obtain the Model Contract, please click here, a Primer of Self-Referral Laws, Compensation Resources and well-received CME presentations on “Issues for the Employed Physician and Physicians Contemplating Employment,” conducted in the Baltimore and Montgomery County areas.
For more information, please contact Amity Aldrich, MedChi Membership Sales Director, at 410-539-0872 ext. 3330 or by email.
Physician Employment and Service Agreements
- The American Medical Association offers a variety of resources to their members entering an employment relationship with hospitals, group practice, or other entities.
- Click here to view the AMA Principles for Physician Employment.
- Please click here for Physician Compensation Resources, compiled by the Center for the Employed Physician.
Issues for the Employed Physician and Physicians Contemplating Employment… the legal and financial considerations.
Click on the names in the links below to view the presentations from our Fall 2013 forums.
Articles of Interest
- Physician recruiting incentives: Salaries, signing bonuses, value-based pay and benefits
- 2019 Survey of Final-Year Medical Residents - A Survey Examining the Career Preferences, Plans and Expectations of Physicians Completing Their Residency Training (May 2019)
- 2017 Review of Physician and Advanced Practitioner Recruiting Incentives - An Overview of the Salaries, Bonuses, and Other Incentives Customarily Used to Recruit Physicians, Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners by Merritt Hawkins
- 2017 State Physician Workforce Data Report - A Report by the Association of American Medical Colleges (November 2013)
- Final-Year Medical Residents 2017 Survey - A Survey Examining the Career Preferences, Plans and Expectations of Physicians Completing Their Residency Training (October 25, 2017)
- Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2016 (April 1, 2016)
- Maryland Physician Workforce Profile - A Report by the Association of American Medical Colleges (2013)
- Filling the Void – Physician Outlook and Trend Report (May 2013)
- Hospitals Are Going on a Doctor Buying Binge and It’s Likely to End Badly (March 15, 2013)
- Seven Trends in Hospital-Employed Physician Compensation (January 25, 2013)