MEDCHI STAFF: Yelena Shapiro, 410-539-0872, ext. 3370; Amalia Rivera Oven, 410-539-0872, ext. 3321
Last Updated: August 23, 2018
Leadership (July 2018 - June 2019)
1) Chair - Omar Harfouch
2) Vice Chair- Jillian Irwin
4) Delegate to the MedChi House of Delegates- Sergio Lizama
5) Alternate Delegate to the MedChi House of Delegates- Dipan Oza
6) RFS Trustee to the MedChi Board of Trustees- [open]
7) RFS Trustee to MMPAC Board – Janelle Hinze
September 22, 2018: MedChi's Fall House of Delegates - contact Yelena Shapiro for details
The purpose of the Medical Student Section of MedChi, the Maryland State Medical Society, is to unite and empower Maryland medical students to, alongside other components of MedChi, effectively advocate for high-quality and accessible healthcare and medical education as part of the Maryland legislative process.
Goals for 2018
1. Build 2-3 high-quality "spotlight" resolutions that can be translated from resolution to House of Delegates meetings to advocacy during the 2019 General Assembly (e.g., discussion during Component Day, secure buy-in during MedChi Legislative Council). Collaborations with other MedChi components, university professors, and other student groups can be a source of high-quality, passionate ideas.
2. Rebrand MedChi MSS so that a) what we do is more transparent and intuitive (e.g., rename or rewrite mission); b) we establish a social media presence; c) we recruit more members from various medical schools in Maryland (e.g., active member goals from all universities).
3. Establish stronger relationships with MedChi physicians through appropriate mentorship programs and networking events
Leadership (January - December 2018)
1) Student Co-Presidents: Lucy Nam; Neel Koyawala
2) Student Director of Communications/Media: Ben Bigelow
3) External Legislative Chair: Alina Spiegel
4) Internal Legislative Chair: Neha Anand
5) Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Representative: Cara Plott
6) University of Maryland School of Medicine Representative: Wesley Chan; Jessica Lee
7) MSS Representative on the MedChi Board of Trustees: Neel Koyawala
8) MedChi’s AMA Delegation: Lucy Nam
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MedChiMSS/
Next Monthly Meeting: TBD
August 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
July 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
June 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
May 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
April 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
March 2018 - Cancelled due to atypical circumstances
February 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
January 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
September 22, 2018: MedChi's Fall House of Delegates - contact Lucy Nam for details
WHAT DOES MEDCHI OFFER RESIDENTS AND MEDICAL STUDENTS?
Maryland's Medical Students and Residents receive complimentary membership entitling them to comprehensive benefits.
Additionally, MedChi offers:
1. Many opportunities for Medical Student and Resident members to network at MedChi and Local Component Medical Society events with other residents and students, young physicians just starting their practice, and established physicians that can offer the advice learned in their experience.
2. Educational programs tailored to the specific needs of both students and residents.
3. Special insurance offered through the MedChi Insurance Agency to protect you from a financial crisis from student loan debt, should you lose your ability to work.
To join, please click here or contact your membership team at 410-539-0872. We look forward to welcoming you to MedChi.