MEDCHI STAFF: Yelena Shapiro, 443-449-2288
Last Updated: May 7, 2018
MedChi is here for you starting with your Medical School and Residency...
Leadership (October 2017 - June 2018)
Resident Chair: Keshav Khanijow, M.D.
MedChi HOD Delegate: Idris Leppa, M.D.
MedChi HOD Alternate Delegate: Sergio Lizama-Hernández, M.D.
MedChi Alternate Delegate to the AMA: Keshav Khanijow, M.D.
Next Quarterly Meeting: April or May (date TBD)
Click here for January 2018's Meeting Minutes
Click here for October 2017's Meeting Minutes
The purpose of the Medical Student Section of MedChi, the Maryland State Medical Society, is to unite and empower Maryland medical students to, alongside other components of MedChi, effectively advocate for high-quality and accessible healthcare and medical education as part of the Maryland legislative process.
Goals for 2018
1. Build 2-3 high-quality "spotlight" resolutions that can be translated from resolution to House of Delegates meetings to advocacy during the 2019 General Assembly (e.g., discussion during Component Day, secure buy-in during MedChi Legislative Council). Collaborations with other MedChi components, university professors, and other student groups can be a source of high-quality, passionate ideas.
2. Rebrand MedChi MSS so that a) what we do is more transparent and intuitive (e.g., rename or rewrite mission); b) we establish a social media presence; c) we recruit more members from various medical schools in Maryland (e.g., active member goals from all universities).
3. Establish stronger relationships with MedChi physicians through appropriate mentorship programs and networking events
Leadership (January - December 2018)
Student Co-Presidents: Lucy Nam; Neel Koyawala
Student Director of Communications/Media: Ben Bigelow
External Legislative Chair: Alina Spiegel
Internal Legislative Chair: Neha Anand
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Representative: Cara Plott
University of Maryland School of Medicine Representative: Wesley Chan; Jessica Lee
MSS Representative on the MedChi Board of Trustees: Neel Koyawala
MedChi’s AMA Delegation: Lucy Nam
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MedChiMSS/
Next Monthly Meeting: May 22, 2018
April 2018 - To appear here following the meeting
March 2018 - Cancelled due to atypical circumstances
February 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
January 2018 - Click here for Meeting Minutes
April 29, 2018: MedChi's Spring House of Delegates - contact Lucy Nam for details
WHAT DOES MEDCHI OFFER RESIDENTS AND MEDICAL STUDENTS?
Maryland's Medical Students and Residents receive complimentary membership entitling them to comprehensive benefits.
Additionally, MedChi offers:
1. Many opportunities for Medical Student and Resident members to network at MedChi and Local Component Medical Society events with other residents and students, young physicians just starting their practice, and established physicians that can offer the advice learned in their experience.
2. Educational programs tailored to the specific needs of both students and residents.
3. Special insurance offered through the MedChi Insurance Agency to protect you from a financial crisis from student loan debt, should you lose your ability to work.
To join, please click here or contact your membership team at 410-539-0872. We look forward to welcoming you to MedChi.