The 2013 Session of the General Assembly concluded last night. Physicians can be pleased with the results, with the MedChi position prevailing on issues such as the Board of Physicians, naturopathic medicine and other scope of practice matters, physician dispensing, proposed fee increases...
Annual Scientific Meeting
The MedChi Annual Scientific Meeting
was held on Saturday, December 8, 2012
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Osler Hall at The MedChi Facility
1211 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Topic: Pain Management: A Practitioner’s Guide
The issue of managing pain in patients is a current and controversial issue in health care. The FDA has issued its Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) requirements regarding the use of Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioid Analgesics. Data indicates that there are serious public health and patient safety issues associated with the use and abuse of prescription pain medications. Practitioners need to be aware of these issues and have strategies they can apply in practice to ensure the health and safety of their patients.
MedChi’s 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting will focus its program, offering 6 CME credits, on “Pain Management: A Practitioner’s Guide.” Join us on December 8th here in historic Osler Hall from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., for a full day of education and discussion on Pain Management. The meeting will feature the following presentations by locally and nationally recognized experts in the field of Pain Management:
- The Burden of Chronic Pain: Evaluation and Treatment, presented by Steven P. Cohen, MD
- Common Pain Syndromes: Fibromyalgia, Myofascial Pain, Post Herpetic Neuritis, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, presented by Aneesh Singla, MD, MPH
- Medical-Legal Considerations in Treating Pain: Current and Future Trends, presented by John Dombrowski, MD
- Low Back Pain: Patient Selection and Treatment Options, presented by Kamran Saraf, MD
- Opioid Toolkit: What Every Physician Needs to Know to Prescribe Without Fear, present by Doris K. Cope, MD.