“More clearly than any other, the physician should illustrate the truth of Plato’s saying that education is a lifelong process.” ---------Sir William Osler
The process of lifelong learning that Dr. Osler refers to is the foundation of continuing medical education or CME. It is the means that physicians use to improve their competence, performance and improve their patient outcomes. It is the essence of Continuing Professional Development.
MedChi is committed to CME that is evidence-based, clinically relevant to all learners, valid in content, transparent and free of bias or commercial influence, and grounded in the principles of adult learning.
The Mission of MedChi, The Maryland State Medical Society is to serve as Maryland’s foremost advocate and resource for physicians, their patients and the public health.
The MedChi Department of Continuing Professional Development (DCPD) complement this mission through its work in two areas: the development, planning, design and implementation of educational activities that strive to meet the needs of physicians; and through a recognized system of accreditation for intrastate organizations that wish to provide accredited continuing medical education activities. MedChi provides accreditation review, maintenance of certification and educational support to providers in the system.
The MedChi DCPD is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide accredited CME for Physicians. It has had this distinction since 1981. MedChi’s current accreditation status with the ACCME is Accreditation with Commendation, the highest level of accreditation a provider can achieve. Prior to the ACCME, MedChi was accredited through the LCCME. MedChi’s CME activities for physicians are planned and supervised by the Committee On Scientific Activities (COSA). MedChi’s ACCME Provider Number is 3002519.
Through MedChi’s National Accreditation with the ACCME, MedChi provides 40 to 50 accredited CME activities per year, either directly or jointly sponsored, serving over 100,000 physicians, and several thousand more allied health professionals, throughout Maryland, the region and the nation. These cover a broad range of clinical and scientific areas. MedChi CME activities include conferences, lectures, workshops, case presentations and self-study.
MedChi also provides practice management education through the development of activities with the Practice Management Institute (PMI). These activities provided physician and their staff, education focused on issues and needs related to the practice of medicine, its management and fulfilling the requirements for various office management certifications. As part of this collaboration with PMI, MedChi’s DCPD provides CME accreditation, when appropriate for PMI activities on a national scale.
The MedChi DCPD is also Recognized by the ACCME, through the State Medical Society (SMS) Recognition System, as an accreditor of organizations within the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia. This accrediting is done through the MedChi Accredited Provider System (MAP System) under the guidance of the Continuing Medical Education Review Committee (CMERC). MedChi has been an ACCME SMS Recognized Accrediting organization since 1985. There are currently 48 organizations in the MAP System, they are:
- Anne Arundel Medical Center
- Baltimore City Medical Society
- Baltimore County Medical Association, Inc.
- Baltimore Washington Medical Center
- Carroll Hospital Center
- Chesapeake Health Education Program
- CIVISTA Medical Center
- Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center
- District of Columbia Metropolitan Radiological Society (DCMRS)
- Franklin Square Hospital Center
- Frederick Memorial Hospital
- Garrett County Memorial Hospital
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- United Medical Center
- Harbor Hospital Center
- Harford Memorial Hospital, Upper Chesapeake Health
- Health Services for Children with Special Needs, Inc.
- Holy Cross Hospital
- Institute Of Contemporary Psyhcotherapy & Psychoanalysis
- Howard County General Hospital, Inc.
- Laurel Regional Hospital
- Maryland Psychiatric Society, Inc.
- Mercy Medical Center
- Meritus Medical Center
- Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, PC
- Montgomery General Hospital
- Neurology Education Network
- Office Of Occupational Health Services
- Peninsula Regional Medical Center
- Prince George's Hospital Center
- Providence Hospital
- Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Sinai Hospital
- Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- Spring Grove Hospital Center
- Springfield Hospital Center
- St. Agnes Healthcare, Inc.
- St. Joseph Medical Center
- St. Mary's Hospital
- Suburban Hospital
- Union Hospital
- Union Memorial Hospital
- University Health Center, U of MD
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Washington Adventist Hospital
- Washington School of Psychiatry
- Western Maryland Health System